• No birthdays today
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest
  • It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:03 am

iPad haters

A public forum to discuss anything

Re: iPad haters

Postby Terzhus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Caza wrote:
Oh, I definitely agree with you there. Being more akin to a netbook than a smartphone, it should have more traffic. And I also agree that the fanboys can be annoying. I have a lot of criticisms of apple (probably more than the pc-centric crowd here), but I also recognize that they make some nice hardware and I prefer using their OS for productivity than Windows (gaming, of course, is another story). Having any knee-jerk reaction to a company's products, whether positive or negative, is pretty dumb. But I do think it'll be amusing if tablet computing takes off to see the people who bashed this as a useless toy.

Then we agree, except I prefer the other OS :p. I think the Ipad can be a neat tool, I just get turned off by all the fan-boys "omg omg a new i[insertname] the best thing ever!!!!"
Terzhus
IceClan Invite
IceClan Invite

Postby Caza » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Cerb wrote:
The things that turned me off to Apple Products in the past:
1. One-button Mice

Couldn't agree more, though this has been a non-issue since 1999.

And, Terz, both sides have their zealots (as I'm sure you know). The Apple ones just seem to get more attention, since people don't tend to camp out at Microsoft stores for every new product release.
Caza
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Caza » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Somewhat related:

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

I'm very curious how the law will address this. Apple attorneys are surely on the warpath, probably cease and desist letters. If it was stolen and then sold to gizmodo, are they safe due to freedom of the press or could they be forced to reveal their source or pay damages?
Caza
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Revel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 am

I just got one and now use it to control all my entertainment stuff. as well as surf web while I am in my house watching TV. Once I get my lights and locks updated I will be able to control them with it as well as with my phone. The 500 price was actually cheaper then the original remote I wanted to get.
Revel
IceClan Invite
IceClan Invite

Postby Debar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 am

what are you using to control A/V equipment. what softare are you planning on using to control your lights and locks?
Debar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Revel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:44 pm

My Direct TV guy actually did it all for me He lives across the street heh. For the lights im not sure what the app is called but if you can control it with a Iphone im pretty sure I can do it with a Ipad. Although It wont be as usful as having it on my phone cause you can set it to turn off and on so on long trips it looks like someone is home. Ill ask em what it was once I see em though for ya.
Revel
IceClan Invite
IceClan Invite

Postby scour » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:47 pm

I <3 my Ipad.
scour
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Caza » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:48 pm

:signwithstupid:
Caza
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Equis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:16 pm

scour wrote:
I <3 my Ipad.

Taking a lesson learned from Paul O Ticks:
I know people that are unhappy with theirs after the novelty wore off and they're huge Apple Fanboi's. Clearly the logical conclusion of this is that everyone hates their iPad.
Equis
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Kezix » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Equis wrote:
scour wrote:
I <3 my Ipad.

Taking a lesson learned from Paul O Ticks:
I know people that are unhappy with theirs after the novelty wore off and they're huge Apple Fanboi's. Clearly the logical conclusion of this is that everyone hates their iPad.

Oh wow you're good at what you do. :emoteclap:

Though I think the iPad is probably going to be good at replacing libraries? You know those piles of books? :emoteshifty:

No really I've heard a few people say it is great for reading...
Kezix
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Shaft » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:40 pm

2 qualms I have with the iPad, and no I don't own one.

1.) Features still lacking. Frontal camera for video chat, and USB slots. All this great junk and no USB.

2.) Cost. Too high atm. I know for a fact that early adopters are in love with this device, but I think it should be available for half the price.

I still think it's a nifty device overall. I'd love the ability to surf and mail on an iPad, but not @ the current price and features it has right now.
Shaft
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Shaft » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Caza wrote:
Cerb wrote:
The things that turned me off to Apple Products in the past:
1. One-button Mice

Couldn't agree more, though this has been a non-issue since 1999.

And, Terz, both sides have their zealots (as I'm sure you know). The Apple ones just seem to get more attention, since people don't tend to camp out at Microsoft stores for every new product release.

The track pad on the latest mac books are pretty amazing. Feels like I'm using deprecated technology when I hop on someone elses laptop that's not a mac.
Shaft
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Enirevlow » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:27 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/29/AR2010042900149.html

intresting article about its various plusses and minuses vs other tech. (from pc world it looks like)
Enirevlow
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Caza » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:29 am

Good, fair article.

And the camera connection kit does allow many USB devices to work with the iPad, though Apple doesn't document it (headphones, speakers, and others). It's still a $29 dongle and it won't read flash drives, so it still has plenty of room for improvement.
Caza
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby scour » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:52 pm

I use it for media consumption. Its awesome for that. I travel a lot too and its by far the best in flight device I've ever used. Really for me it's a kindle + nintendo DS + dvd player all in one. Well worth it.
scour
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion