Board info:
  • No birthdays today
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest
  • It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:38 am

PC Upgrades

A public forum to discuss anything

PC Upgrades

Postby Dies » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 am

Forewarning on peeps looking to do an SSD upgrade watch out for OCZ SSD's if your running an ASUS board ive ran into problems on 2 builds now and its a PITA to deal with supposed to be able to get it to work with a bunch of dicking around but went ahead and had the peeps i was doing the work for order a crucial instead.

Shitty thing is i recommended the OCZ cause i got one for my board but im running a Gigabyte with AMD and had 0 issues.

OCZ reviews great but im gonna pass on recommendations for the time being.
Dies
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Re: PC Upgrades

Postby Hyraxx » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 am

Any idea what the actual conflict is? Like if it's the controller in the SSD it could be a problem with more than just the OCZ SSD's.
Hyraxx
IceClan Invite
IceClan Invite

Postby Kezix » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:11 am

That's interesting... I've been recommending crucial but OCZ I've thought was always good.
Kezix
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Dies » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:22 pm

not sure didnt really get into it was just pissed that i promised a 1 day turn around and it ends up being a week. Just noticed when i would look up for the specific instances i was working on it was always a bitch fest of the OCZ sucks and i believe if you look at newegg reviews its generakky a bitch fest of peeps with ASUS and OCZ conflicts.

This is from a review on newegg which sums it up

Quote:
Pros: When it works, it's fantastic. Unfortunately, reliability stinks.

Cons: If you check the OCZ forums or do goggle searches you'll find tens of thousands of reported problems with these drives. Constant lockups and Windows blue screens of death. Even with the latest and greatest hardware and software this drive will consistently fail if you leave your computer on continuously.
Now OCZ support runs you through this convoluted process to get your drive running reliably but it's hit or miss. There's long discussions from their support people blaming Sanforce, Intel, the SATA III spec, motherboard BIOSes and the like. But basically they sell this product as something that should work when they know there are major problems for a large number of users. It's their responsibility to either get it working or remove the product from the market. They've done neither.
So unless you want to throw the nice and buy this product for its great specs, STAY AWAY FROM IT.

Manufacturer Response:
We aplogize for any problems you have experienced. The issue rate on our SSD drives is less than 1%, although we take all customer issues seriously. We will be happy to give you personal assistance with troubleshooting your installation on our support forums at the link below. We are here to help. Thank you
External Link(s): OCZ Support Forums

Like i said i run one in my system with no issues but will refrain from recommending for the foreseeable future.

All updates and firmwares were applied to the systems i worked on so no clue where the issue was. Was not about to go through a bunch of downgrading im not charging enough for that shit.
Dies
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Gatsu » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:05 pm

I bought a OCZ Vertex 3 Max iops 128 GB for my new pc about a year ago. I feel about the same as Dies. I am running an Asrock mobo and have not had any mobo ssd problems, but OCZ as a company is not my favorite. When I first got the SSD I planned on updating the firmware but upon visiting the OCZ forums (which are some of the worst I have ever encountered) I found out that there were all sorts of problems with the drive and firmware. There were threads of constant blue screens, problems with the various firmware releases and the supposed fixes either reduced performance or created new issues. I did read that the sandforce controller during that time was having problems in general but trying to find an answer from OCZ was impossible. The forums still to this day are an unorganized mess and I have never updated my firmware. Take a look http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/

The new OCZ SSD's use a different controller but I am just not a big fan of the company.

I recently purchased a larger SSD because the prices are falling like crazy and a 128 GB SSD after formatting is only about 111GB and then Win 7 takes up a good portion of that.

I got a 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD. I have heard only the best regarding firmware updates and the bundled software from Samsung. They make all their own parts and are supposedly very reliable.

The Crucial M4 256 is priced to sell as well and has good feedback.
Gatsu
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dies » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 pm

ya the samsungs are nice great performance and dependability. The crucial you can not pass up they are rock solid and cheap. The Samsung and Intel ones are the tops with OCZ being the fastest but most bunch of issues.
Dies
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Cerb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Having used an SSD now for awhile now as my OS drive (and for a few high performance games), i'll never go back to non-SSD.

It's been the best hardware purchase I've ever made.

I converted the office to SSD about a year ago as well. The performance is well worth the few extra sheckles you'll pay.
Cerb
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Dies » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:42 pm

for sure prices are dropping pretty nicely to under a buck a gig. Im running 120 and im fine i use a 500 gig western digital black for odd and end gaming and install AAA and MMO's on the ssd and uninstall when done with them to manage my space. but there are 256 and larger that are at respectable prices also and ill go that way when i start the moterboard and cpu swap on my rig. IF you want some kick ass boot times (im at about 20 seconds from power button to a functional desktop) go with SSD it really wakes up a system for functionality.

here is a pricing from newegg on what 120's are going for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... name=120GB

if your not running asus or do enough research prior the OCZ Vertex 3 is cheap
Dies
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Mazreh » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Gatsu wrote:
I recently purchased a larger SSD because the prices are falling like crazy and a 128 GB SSD after formatting is only about 111GB and then Win 7 takes up a good portion of that.

I got a 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD. I have heard only the best regarding firmware updates and the bundled software from Samsung. They make all their own parts and are supposedly very reliable.

The Crucial M4 256 is priced to sell as well and has good feedback.

Would you highly recommend Samsung? I'm using an Intel SSD from last year, but I'm running out of space on it. It's super-reliable and I think its decently fast.

I've been looking at something similar in terms of reliability, speed, and price... but just bigger capacity. I know Intel has a 500 series but I hear a lot of good things about Samsung too.

What made you choose Samsung over Intel?
Mazreh
IceClan Invite
IceClan Invite

Postby Gatsu » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:44 pm

At the time I had read a ton about the samsung. In the end the reliability (based on tons of forum reading) and above average benchmarks, as well as price made me choose samsung. Intel is also widely praised for reliability but the benchmarks were not as good as the samsung and the price point was higher.
Gatsu
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kezix » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:06 pm

I hear Crucial drives are very good too.
Kezix
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Dies » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:36 pm

The M4 is a solid choice they ae not the fastest but doesnt matter solid price and dependable.
Dies
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Dies » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Fuck OCZ mine just took a shit after 7 months so needless to say im down and out of GW2 till i get this mechanical running while i RMA the SSD
Dies
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Eido » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:55 pm

So I have been planning on building a new computer but due to unforeseen circumstances, I was only able to update computer parts as I could not justify building a new computer just for the sake of building a new computer.

What I did was I purchased a new video card:
Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti GC 3 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 DVI/DVI/HDMI/DP SLI Ready Graphics Card
and this hard drive:
OCZ Technology Revo Drive 3 Series 240GB PCI Express 8 GB-s Slim.
Then I took my 3 year old processor, an Intel i7 920 rev D0 and overclocked it to 3.7GHZ. It is very stable with air cooling.
I am a very happy camper at the performance of my "new" computer.

I hope I do not sound like I am bragging as I just wanted to share with you how you may be able to extend the life of your PC if you invest in good components- in my case, my cpu.
Eido
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Dies » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:54 am

SSD will really liven up the slowest of PC's and now is the time to pick one up i read about a price increase coming in the next few months 240+ drives are going for 120 prices from just earlier this year a samsung was just going for leass the 200 around 180 i believe if i had the cash i would get it myself. i tossed one into a netbook and the thing actually functions in a useful manner now went from like a 2.5 minute bootup to about 40 sec. My main tower went from around 1:20 with a WD raptor to about 20 secs
Dies
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Next

Return to General Discussion