• No birthdays today
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest
  • It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:17 am

new comp

A public forum to discuss anything

Re: new comp

Postby Enirevlow » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:24 am

Equis wrote:

If you are trying to shave $$ you can get a smaller SSD. Unless you install a lot of games and play them all at once, you don't need more than 150GB. I have 240 I think and have a lot of room left with probably 5+ games installed that I'm not playing.

I didn't bother putting a platter in my new computer. Instead I just have a large NAS drive that all my computers can share.

I have a 120 ssd and find it too small, so i need the platter drive for excess game overflow, which I might avoid if I had a 240 ssd. For everything else, I use my nas drive same as you.
Enirevlow
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Dies » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 pm

if you use steam at all say bye bye to SSD space with the cursed sales. I had a 120 and was constantly having to manage it I went up to a 240 and have to manage way less I have a few AAA titles loaded with no worries and I have a 500 gig WD black for games that don't matter so much and a 3 TB WD Green for media.
Dies
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Equis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:50 am

You guys do know you can uninstall games right? Unless you have kids I doubt you are actively playing 10+ games at a time.
Equis
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby morlox » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:56 am

i am only keeping the 2 or 3 games i currently play on ssd, the rest are on platter, i have all my roms and older games on external hd

still working on my new comp....not sure wtf is going on it keeps freezing up, i am trying to figure it out tho, at least it started up first go....

-morlox
morlox
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Enirevlow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:30 pm

oh the usual im sure, make sure everythings fully seated inside. update the bios, update the firmware on the ssd, and so on.
Enirevlow
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Equis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:08 am

morlox wrote:
i am only keeping the 2 or 3 games i currently play on ssd, the rest are on platter, i have all my roms and older games on external hd

still working on my new comp....not sure wtf is going on it keeps freezing up, i am trying to figure it out tho, at least it started up first go....

-morlox

Last machine I built (~7 years ago) kept freezing because the memory and MoBo didn't get along. I fiddled with timing a ton, which would alter the timing of freezes and BSOD's but never fixed them. I eventually returned the RAM and got a different brand that worked on first install. Technical specs were identical between the brands...
Equis
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Postby Kezix » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 am

Look at the QVL(qualified vendor list) for your motherboard... best to go with one of those. (should be on the manufacturer website)
Kezix
IceClan Member
IceClan Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion